TRANSFERRING THE PATTERN TO THE FRONT FABRIC PANEL: 1) Transfer the Clear Vinyl Pattern to a Large Picture Window. Tape in place. Should be smooth. (The daylight will help the traced lines show through the fabric.) STEP #1
2) Place the FRONT PANEL fabric over the entire pattern. Right side facing out toward you. Tape in place. You should be able to see the pattern lines through the fabric. 3) Now that the fabric is lying flat and smooth against the Vinyl, CAREFULLY Trace over every image line with the FINESharpie Permanent Marking Pen. Any mistakes will show as the permanent marker will not wash off. (DO NOT TRANDFER WORDS OR SYMBOLS) Trace the outer perimeter seam with A Heavy Line, so that you can see the Black Marking on the back of the fabric. (This will be very useful later when you are ready to sew the seam)
ASSEMBLY OF THE QUILT: DO NOT TRIM QUILT YET!! 1) On a clean flat surface place the Boned Batting. 2) On top of BONDED BATTING place the BACK QUILT PANEL. The Right Side FACING UP. Step #7 3) On top place the FRONT QUILT PANEL FACING DOWN. Both Right Sides of the Fabric Panels should be facing each other. 4) Make sure all layers are smooth and flat. No Wrinkles or Creases. 5) Using long Sewing Pins: Pin ALL THREE THICKNESSES around the entire outside seam line. (Leaving about an 8” to 10” opening for turning the Quilt to the right side. (shown on pattern) 6) SEW ALL THREE THICKNESSES Start at one end of the “10” Opening Area”, sew a Straight Stitch following the Black Line, sewing just inside of the black line. (The Black Seam Line should not show when you turn the Quilt to the right side) Start and end by reinforcing the stitches.
4) When complete: take the FRONT PANEL down and follow the same procedure with each applique fabric piece. STEP #2
Allow 1/8” wherever the appliques meet. They should overlap. Allow 3/8” for any part of the applique that is on the outside perimeter of the pattern. (As this is part of the seam line) DO NOT TRIM THE QUILT OR ANY OF THE SEAMS AT THIS TIME
PREPARING THE APPLIQUES: 1) With Medium Heat gently press with an Iron the Appliques and QUILT PANELS, to smooth the fabric of any wrinkles. (Do Not use a Hot Iron) 2) Prepare the Applique pieces by placing a piece of “Light to Medium Weight Iron- On-Pellon” on the Ironing Board. (glue or sticky side up)
3) Place the Applique pieces on top of the Pellon (the right side facing up) Follow instructions for the Pellon. (Do not over heat). Gently press until fused together.
TRIMMING AND POSITIONING THE APPLIQUES PIECES
Allow for a 3/8” to ½” Seam allowance on ALL Appliqué pieces that will be on the outside perimeter of the Quilt. 1)Trim each Applique just outside the Black Line. Allow 1/8” extra wherever the appliques meet. They should overlap. 2) Begin by placing appliques exactly in place. You can pin and baste in place. I prefer Lightly Spraying the Back Side of the Appliques with a Spray Adhesive 3) Place Applique in position, pinning to secure the piece.
TRIMMING THE QUILT: Cut All Three Thicknesses 1) Trim around the perimeter of the QUILT, 3/8” out from the Straight Stitch Seam Line. Miter or clip as shown on the pattern so that when turned to the right side the seam line will lay flat with no creases or puckers. (You may need to trim more off in some areas to help reduce puckering) STEPS #8, #9, #10 & #11
TURNING THE QUILT: 1) Gently reach inside and Pull all the material through the Opening. STEPS #12 & #13
With your hands, work out the seamed area to pull out any puckers. You may need to use a strong sewing pin to work out some areas. 2) Smooth out ALL Layers and Pin Baste around the perimeter of the quilt, through all three layers and Close up the opening. (Hand stitch or Machine) STEP #14
If you follow the instructions the front and back panels will be exactly the same size and shape 3) Scatter- Pin Baste All Three Layers in larger open areas of pattern. (This will keep the fabric from shifting) STEPS #15 & #16 4) Pin closely on both sides of the appliques. *Large Safety Pins Work Great
“ZZ” – SATIN STITCHING STEPS #17 & #18
1) Start with Appliques that are closest to the body pattern. Working appliques in levels. 2) Sew with a “ZZ” stitch about 4.5MM wide. The stitch length should be set Very Close to create a Satin Stitch. 3) For some areas such as EYE LASHES, you may want to use a more narrow stitch *This Step appliques and quilts in one easy step ! *The Fabric Edge, the Straight Stitch and the Black Lines should all be covered by the “ZZ” Satin Stitch. *Accuracy is very important for a beautiful finished quilt. *The back of the quilt will show the full design and look professional with this stitch.
This Komfie is very durable so let your child enjoy it!!!!!
KIDDIE KOMFIES QUILT ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS
READ ALL INTRUCTIONS THOUROUGHLY
RESIN TREATED BATTING IS BEST (some call it Bonded)
“ZZ” - means Zig Zag. Satin stitch is a ZigZag stitch using a shorter length, stitched to form a solid line.
The Front of the Quilt is referred to as “FRONT PANEL”, the Back of the Quilt as “BACK PANEL”
METHOD FOR MAKING THE MASTER PATTERN USING CLEAR VINYL
**Purchase a piece of Clear Vinyl ( Medium Weight- heavy enough that it won’t wrinkle or stick to itself) Size needed is: 54 inches by 48 inches.
**Available at most Fabric and Hardware stores by the yard. DELUXE
**Purchase a Fine Tip - Sharpie Permanent Marker pen. (Sharpie Brand Only)
**Tape: Clear wide shipping tape, masking tape or painters tape.
**Medium Weight Iron-On Pellon. Enough for each Appliqué
**Fabric Adhesive Spray: such as “505- Spray and Fix for Fabrics” (OPTIONAL)
**Large Quilting Safety Pins make the project much easier. (OPTIONAL)
1) Begin by lightly pressing the folds in the paper with an Iron to make smooth.
DO NOT CUT ON THE PATTERN
2) On a large clean surface such as floor, place Pattern Notches together to form image and tape together.
3) Place the Clear Vinyl on top of the Paper Pattern and tape down edges lightly, to keep from moving.
4) TO CREATE THE Vinyl PATTERN: Trace over the entire pattern figure including all applique designs. ( DO NOT trace words, instructions or symbols))
**This is Now your MASTER PATTERN